Friday, October 7, 2016

One final question...

Over the years I have interviewed dozens of people for jobs in our school. At the end of each interview, almost without fail, I add my own personal question - "What is your favorite children's book?"

The question is intended to move people out of best-behavior-interview mode to a more personal moment. The titles, and the reasons behind them, are sometimes very revealing. Candidates will often ask, "Is there a 'wrong' answer?" and I tell them yes. After the candidate answers the question, I tell them (if they ask again) that the "wrong" answer is The Giving Tree. I think the book sends a less than positive message about the expectations boys should have of their mothers. (I know, many people think I'm way out of line here, but that's where I am.)

This morning I took a break from the professional development session I was leading on web site design to check in with my teachers in a different program. While there, our new Fifth Grade teacher, Brittany Ouellette, said to me, "I have a dark secret." She then showed me the cover of her personal laptop...


Oh, how I love my job some days!